Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Lies Beneath
Lies Beneath 1

Author: Anne Greenwood Brown
Pages: 303 pgs
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Release Date: June 12th 2012
Review Source: NetGalley

I was entirely sure what to expect with this after reading the description, but I was definitely intrigued enough to check it out. Anne has made a splash with her debut novel.

Calder White is the only brother in a family of mermaids. Unlike those you've learned about, their source of survival is absorbing human's energy until they die.

Every spring Calder and his sisters return to their home in Lake Sueprior, in hopes of seeking revenge against Jason Hancock. When he and his family finally move back, Calder tries to lure the oldest daughter Lily into his web to get to Hancock. Will Calder be able to go through with this once he gets to know Lily?

 One of my favorite things about this book was Calder's voice. Anne did a wonderful job of getting the readers into his head and showing us how very non-human he was. The lifestyle he led with his sisters, traveling all over the world, using their looks to lull people in, you really got a sense of how they'd been able to survive and keep themselves hidden.

Even the casual use of murder begins to make sense the further into the story you get. While I wasn't sure about it at first, I found that from Calder's perspective I could better understand how they made it through. Their world is very different from a typical one we have seen, and Anne did a wonderful job of really showing it to the readers.

I also really enjoyed Calder's growth and understanding of love. His family was all about convenience and selfish pleasure, while he wanted... more. He found something to make him want to be better.

When I reached the end I found myself wanting more. Now I have to wait for book 2, Deep Betrayal, which will be from Lily's perspective, and I can't wait to find out what happens next!

For more from this author you can check out her website http://annegreenwoodbrown.com/ or follow her on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/AnneGBrown.


1 comment:

  1. Those mermaids sound evil! Another great underwater cover.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails