Friday, April 22, 2011

Friday Finds and New Reads

 Friday Finds and New Reads
This is where I talk about new books that really stand out to me or sound unique, and what new books I have to read or will be getting soon.

Well, first this week I have The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson:

 
Summary: Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.

Elisa is the chosen one.

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can’t see how she ever will.

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he’s not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people’s savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do.


Not only does the title sound fascinating, but this description is pretty much seals the deal for me. I love when there's the element of a special character who is either really rare or hasn't been heard of in centuries. It makes the discovery of who they are and what they can do even more exciting. I really can't wait for this book.


Next is The Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon:




Summary: A move to Ireland is about to introduce Megan to her destiny, her real destiny, can she embrace it and will she survive it?

A tragedy in Megan’s past set her on a predetermined course. A chain of events has been set in motion that brings Megan to Kinsale, a small town in the south of Ireland where her destiny awaits her. Her life starts to fall into place as she makes new friends and settles into her new school. However, the reclusive and distant Adam DeRís calls to her body and soul.

She finds herself increasingly drawn to Adam and his strange family. Adam knows a secret from her past and he and his family hold the key to her future. A future that binds her to Adam and his world, a world of power, mystery and ancient orders. A world that unbeknownst to her, she very much belongs in
.


The cover for this particular story is what first caught my eye. I don't even have words to describe it. Something tells me that this series and author are going to be ones to watch out for. I can't wait to find out just what she has in store for us with this story.


I'd also like to mention The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin:




Summary: Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.

I can't really explain what it is that has me so intrigued by this particular book. Maybe it's the rather vague description and the somewhat sinister cover (you're not entirely sure what's going on), but whatever it is, I am so excited for this book to come out. The first chapter or so has been available to read, but I'm refusing to do so until I have the actual book in my hands. Because I have a feeling I won't want to put it down once I do start reading it.

And, last but not least, I've mentioned this book before, but I'd like to do it again. Wildefire by Karsten Knight:



Summary: Ashline Wilde never received an instruction manual on how to be a 16-year-old Polynesian volcano goddess. If she had, it might have contained helpful warnings such as:

• Dreaming about your (thankfully) mortal boyfriend may cause your bed to spontaneously combust
• Oven mitts should be worn at all times during heavy make-out sessions

Instead, Ash has to learn these life lessons the hard way as her dormant powers erupt at the most awkward times. In the wake of a hometown tragedy, Ash transfers to Blackwood Academy, a boarding school nestled in California’s redwoods, where a group of fellow gods-on-earth have mysteriously convened. As if sophomore year couldn’t get any worse, her storm goddess older sister, the wild and unpredictable Eve, resurfaces to haunt Ashline. With a war between the gods looming over Blackwood, Ash must master the fire smoldering within her before she clashes with her sister one final time, which leads us to life-lesson #3:

• When warm and cold fronts collide, there’s guaranteed to be a storm.

Now, this particular book/series has everything that I like: an awesome cover that leaves the reader wanting more, mythology and legends, and a good sense of humor. I've been hoping to get an ARC for this book because it just sounds fascinating, and after watching a few of Karsten's vlogs and tweeting back and forth with him on Twitter, I don't think I'll be disappointed with how this book comes out.

This week I don't have any new books in, but I am planning on getting some that have recently been released:


What about you guys? What has caught your eye recently or what are you reading now that you're really enjoying?

Oh, and don't forget to check out the giveaway I'm holding for an ARC of Josephine Angelini's debut book Starcrossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails