Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor

Days of Blood and Starlight

Daughter of Smoke and Bone 2

Author: Laini Taylor
Pages: 513 pgs
Genre: YA, Fantsay
Release Date: November 6th 2012
Review Source: Purchase

Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war.

This is not that world.


Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is—and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?

What else can I say but that Laini Taylor is absolutely brilliant! I was beyond excited to get to meet her back in November of last year and to get hear talk about her writing and this particular series. It was so exciting.

We got a completely different look at Karou in this particular book, but fundamentally she was still the same character we got to know in DOSAB. Even though she found out who (and what) she was at the end of the first book, her struggles weren't over as this book began. I loved seeing her immersed in the world she'd come from and trying to come to terms with it.

We got to see Eretz, the place she had lived before, from both her perspective and Akiva's. Plus, we also got to hear from Zuzana and Mik in Prague, who are probably two of my favorite people, they were so cute!

The world building and war Laini brought into this book was phenomenal. She brought so much to life, and yet left so much for us to wait for. I'm sad that the last book is coming out next year, but I'm also incredibly excited for it too. The fact that it comes out around my birthday doesn't hurt either!

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't a huge fan of the first book so I was struggling to decide if I want to read the sequel. I'm still not sure but your review gives me hope and I may have to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails