Sunday, November 13, 2011

Destined by Jessie Harrell

Destined
Author: Jessie Harrell 
Pages: 364 pgs
Genre: Fantasy, Mythology
Release Date: November 17th 2011
Review Source: Author

I'm so glad that I got a chance to read this debut novel because it contained two of my favorite things. It has beautiful cover and is about one of my favorite Greek mythologies.

Psyche is the most beautiful girl in Greece, men from all over come to stand outside her window just get a glimpse of her. But when Psyche angers Aphrodite, the goddess of love, nothing will go according to plan.

A prophecy of her future paints a dim picture, life with a creature even the gods fear, and she has to decide if she can live with it. With doubts looming in her head, Psyche has to prove to herself, and others, that somethings are worth the risk. Will she be able to fulfill her destiny?

Greek mythology has become one of my absolute favorites to read about, so when I found this I couldn't not read it. Jessie's fresh look at the young lovers was beautiful and heart clenching at times, drawing me in to their story.

Psyche and Eros are both strong and stubborn characters that still had a lot to learn. I loved watching their growth and realization of what it meant to truly love someone. The test and trials to prove their worth of one another, as well as to each other, were just right for a Greek myth. And the descriptions throughout were beautiful and clear, offering insight into their world.

The intermingling and use of the other gods and goddess truly made the story seem like a modern telling of a Greek myth. I wanted more and hated for it to end. It was clear that, though Jessie gave this story her own twist, she still did her research and got the culture and stories of ancient Greece correct.

Jessie did a great job with her debut novel and I definitely want to read more from her. For more information on Destined and other works by this author you can check out her website http://jessieharrell.com/ or follow her on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/jessieharrell.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I really appreciate it and am just happy you enjoyed the story!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails