Monday, May 13, 2013

Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Defiance

Defiance (The Courier's Daughter) 1

Author: C.J. Redwine
Pages: 403 pgs
Genre: YA, Sci-Fi, Dystopia
Release Date: August 28th 2012
Review Source: Harper Collins

While the other girls in the walled city-state of Baalboden learn to sew and dance, Rachel Adams learns to track and hunt. While they bend like reeds to the will of their male Protectors, she uses hers for sparring practice.

When Rachel's father fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the city's brutal Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector: her father's apprentice, Logan--the boy she declared her love to and who turned her down two years before. Left with nothing but fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.
First of all, I really love this cover and the finished copy on the hardcover is even more beautiful. The mixture of the light and the dark fit perfectly with the theme of the story. Gorgeous!

This book completely blew me away. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but it was so much more. The world that C.J. created was a dark and intense setting to begin with. But then there were certain situations that came up that I didn't see coming. These things I believe truly added to the dystopian aspect and made the circumstances seem even more imperative.

We also got both Rachel and Logan's points of view. It wasn't just one or the others story, and I loved that. In some instances it's important to get a different character's perspective, especially if the characters end up separated. C.J. weaved their stories seamlessly and kept me engaged to them both the entire time.

I just can't emphasize enough how completely blown away I was by this book. There was so much that took place from the story plot and action to romance and heartbreak. I'm so excited to find out what happens next for Rachel and Logan in Deception, and I have no doubt it will be even crazier than Defiance.

 C.J. REDWINE
Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

1 comment:

  1. I NEED to get my hands on this. I have had it on my TBR list forever and I'm thinking it would be a great summer read. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails