Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Embers and Echoes by Karsten Knight

Embers and Echoes

Wildefire 2

Author: Karsten Knight  
Pages: 480 pgs
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Release Date: August 28th 2012
Review Source: Simon & Schuster

I discovered this author last year just before his debut, Wildefire, came out and I'm so glad that I did. His writing, attention to detail, and wit are just a few of the things that I love about this series and can't wait for more.

When things don't work out in California or on her trip with Cole, Ashline Wilde heads to Miami to find her little sister Rose, the goddess of war.

Along the way she discovers more young deities, both stronger and more dangerous than before. And things are only just beginning.

One of the things I've discovered about some male writers, especially when they're writing from a female perspective, they tend to have a difficult time expressing the emotion a girl would have or writing a lot of details. Karsten definitely doesn't have that problem and I think that's one of the reasons I love this series so much. Ashline is clearly a tough character, witty and a bit sarcastic, but her emotions clearly come across the page. You get the struggles she's dealing with and want to know more about her.

Mythology is also pretty much one of my favorite things, and Karsten introduces a whole bunch of new mythological gods and goddess this time around. He thrusts them into a modern setting and presents them in a way that you could really see it all happening.

I especially love the intricate story and plot line that is given. There's so much more happening than our characters know about and as it slowly unravels you just want to know where it's all leading. All of the characters and different deities offer something, they aren't added just to be there and I can't wait to find out who all will be there in the last book.

Now after the way things ended in this book, not that it was really a cliffhanger, I am more than excited to get Afterglow, the last book in the trilogy. Everything has been building up to this and I'll have to sit and wait patiently (or as patiently as I can).

Karsten Knight
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails