Sunday, April 22, 2012

Slide by Jill Hathaway

Slide
Slide 1

Author: Jill Hathaway
Pages: 250 pgs
Genre: YA, Paranormal
Release Date: March 27th 2012
Review Source: HarperCollins

When I first heard about this debut I was very interested to find out what it was going be like. Interesting concept and creepy situations, definitely sounded cool. And I'm glad I got the chance to read it.

Everyone believes that Vee Bell is narcoleptic. She "falls asleep" randomly throughout the day, but sleep is the last thing that she gets. Vee actually slides into other people's minds and experiences things through them.

It's how she learned that she couldn't really trust anybody. And when her younger sisters best friend is thought to have killed herself, Vee knows that's not true either. Because she was their, and it was murder. Worried that there's really no one that she can confide in, can Vee figure out who the killer is before they strike again?

Most of the YA books that I've read and reviewed on here aren't your typical YA books in which the characters act like teens you'd see today. So, it was a nice change of pace when I read this book and discovered that Sylvia "Vee" Bell acted like a normal teen. Everything from losing her mother to fitting in at school to finding a boyfriend were very well done and some things I can remember going through as a teen. Jill really stayed true to her character and her age.

The mystery of Vee's sliding was also wonderfully handled and something I wanted to learn more about. It wasn't something that she could control, but as the story progressed Vee learned a little more about how it worked and what triggered it. Hopefully we'll get to learn more in the next book.

As always, I don't want to give any of the story away, but I will say that Jill definitely caught my interest. This wasn't one of the usual stories I tend to read, which made it even more fun for me to check out. There was mystery and intrigue all wrapped up in a strange ability. Vee was a fun character learning about herself and I really enjoyed Jill's writing style.

For more information on the author and book 2, Imposter, you can check out her blog http://jillscribbles.blogspot.com/ or follow her on Twitter http://twitter.com/jillscribbles.

This meets the following challenges:



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails