Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

The Scorpio Races

Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Pages: 401 pgs
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Release Date: October 18th 2011
Review Source:Scholastic

I began reading Maggie Stiefvater's stuff when Shiver first came out and haven't been able to stop since. Her writing is beautiful and lyrical, and when I found out she was working on a stand-alone novel I knew that I would have to read it.

In The Scorpio Races we are taken on a wild and amazing journey filled with danger. Every year in November the capall uisce, deadly water horses, come from the water and are put in a race along the shore.

Sean Kendrick is the remaining champion and Puck Connolly somehow got pulled into competing- as the only girl ever to do so. They both have their reasons for needing to win, and both are taken to the brink to do so.

I wasn't really sure at first what to expect from this book, but it was definitely so much more than I could have imagined. Maggie has this ability to take something that could never actually happen and make it seem so real and possible, that you half expect to look out your window and see a capall uisce coming down the street. Her writing is raw and real and incredibly rich.

The mythology of the capall usice was masterfully done and uncomfortable at times. They came across as the terrifying creatures they were supposed to be, but beautifully and majestic as well.

Of the two main characters I found that Sean spoke to me more. The love and devotion he felt for the horses, especially the capall uisce was so clear. He loved what he did and made no excuses for it. It was almost as though he'd been born in a stable with reigns in his hands.

Maggie has a devoted fan in me. From The Wolves of Mercy Falls series to this new novel, she has captivated me with the worlds she creates and the words she uses. I can't wait for more from her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails