Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

The Pledge
The Pledge 1

Author: Kimberly Derting
Pages: 323 pgs
Genre: YA, Dystopian, Science-Fiction
Release Date: November 15th 2011
Review Source: Purchased

I have been a huge fan of Kim Derting ever since I first read her debut novel The Body Finder, which is a part of a series. Her writing in that was sweet and beautiful and I couldn't wait to get my hands on her newest work. This book did not let me down.

Seventeen year old Charlaina lives in the country of Ludania, where the classes of people are divided by the languages that they speak. A universal language unites them, but their class languages are what separate them.

Charlie has a secret though. She can understand them all. Hiding her talent becomes even more difficult when she encounters a guy using a language that she's never heard before. The dangers in Ludania are beginning to escalate and with the reigning Queen in search of her heir, no one is safe.

From the very beginning of this book I was hooked. The dystopian world that Kim created was dark and depressing and beautifully done, her unique version of the Holocaust. Everything from the harshness of the society and public executions to the underground clubs and parties just helped to emphasize what they were dealing with.

What I was not expecting, but still rather enjoyed, was the sci-fi elements she used as well. Not overly done, but perfect for the world she had given us. Even some of the other characters were quite unexpected and gave me a new appreciation for them in the story. Not everything was as it seemed and I loved.

I can happily say that I can't wait for the next book in this trilogy. The ending to The Pledge has set up the next books for some pretty interesting things to come and I can't to find out what else Kim Derting has in store!

This book counts toward the following Challenges:

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails