Friday, February 3, 2012

Friday Finds and New Reads

Friday Finds and New Reads

This is where I talk about new books that really stand out to me or sound unique, and what new books I have to read or will be getting soon.

Hello my lovely readers! I hope everyone's had a good week and are up to finding out about some pretty interesting books out there. So let's get started!

First up we have Gilt by Katherine Longshore:


Summary: In the Tudor age, ambition, power and charismatic allure are essential and Catherine Howard has plenty of all three. Not to mention her loyal best friend, Kitty Tylney, to help cover her tracks. Kitty, the abandoned youngest daughter of minor aristocracy, owes everything to Cat – where she is, what she is, even who she is. Friend, flirt, and self-proclaimed Queen of Misrule, Cat reigns supreme in a loyal court of girls under the none-too-watchful eye of the Dowager Duchess of Norfolk.

When Cat worms her way into the heart of Henry VIII and becomes Queen of England, Kitty is thrown into the intoxicating Tudor Court. It’s a world of glittering jewels and elegant costumes, of gossip and deception. As the Queen’s right-hand-woman, Kitty goes from the girl nobody noticed to being caught between two men – the object of her affection and the object of her desire.

But the atmosphere of the court turns from dazzling to deadly, and Kitty is forced to learn the difference between trust and loyalty, love and lust, secrets and treason. And to accept the consequences when some lessons are learned too late.  

Now, I know this isn't one that I normally post, but I couldn't not mention this one. Not only is it historical fiction, which I seem to be loving right now, but it also hits a little close to home for me with Henry VIII. Let's just say I'm a distant, DISTANT cousin of the Tudors...

Next up we have Winter Falls by Nicole Maggi:

Summary: Alessia Jacobs is a normal sixteen-year-old, dying to get out of her small Maine town. Things start to perk up when a new family comes to town, complete with a super-hot and mysterious son, Jonah. But just as she begins to crush on him, Alessia’s world is turned upside down. She has visions of transforming into an otherworldly falcon, and soon learns that she is a part of the Benandanti, an ancient cult of warriors who have the unique power to separate their souls from their bodies. In this transformed state, their souls take on the form of magnificent animals.

Little did Alessia know that her small boring town is actually the site of an epic struggle between the Benandanti and their enemy, the Malandanti. Both sides are fighting to gain control of a powerful magic in the forest that surrounds the town. As Alessia is drawn deeper and deeper into the Benandanti’s mission, and her relationship with Jonah intensifies, her life spins out of control. Unable to maintain the balance between her two identities, everything begins to fall apart and her two worlds collide with devastating consequences.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this one before, but with this new summary it sounds even more exciting than before. I absolutely love legends and myths, as you all know, so this one using a legend that I haven't heard of definitely intrigues me. I can't wait to read this!

And now for some New Reads:


1 comment:

  1. I *want* to love Gilt, but I'm so worried it's going to pander too much to the YA audience and ignore the historical aspects. Ditto that I'm a HUGE fan of the Tudors and I know way too much about the history, politics, and people of the age to be okay with someone twisting the facts to fit their plotline. I'll take a chance on Gilt, but will probably put it back down real fast if it strays too far from center.


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails