Friday, January 11, 2013

Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard

Something Strange and Deadly

Something Strange and Deadly 1

Author: Susan Dennard  
Pages: 388 pgs
Genre: YA, Steampunk 
Release Date: July 24th 2012
Review Source: Harper Collins

I was intrigued by Susan Dennard's debut novel when I first read the description, and then I saw the cover. It's absolutely gorgeous. And I'm so glad that I read because it did not disappoint.

In 1876, Eleanor Fitt lives in Philadelphia and things have become strange. The dead begin to rise and Eleanor and her mother desperately need her brother to come home. Only he doesn't.

When one of the zombie's delivers a letter to Eleanor from her brother, she knows that he's in danger and needs her help. The Spirit Hunters are her only hope, but getting them to help is easier said than done, especially as the rising dead become more and more dangerous...

Now, as I've mentioned a number of times on here, I love steampunk and historical settings! There's something about beautiful flowing dresses, corsets, and men in top hats that I just love and we get all of that in this book with a steampunk twist. Eleanor's item of choice just so happens to be a parasol and it just adds to the whole setting.

I'm not really much of a zombie fan, in fact I only usually watch them in movies, but I could handle Susan's version of them. They are an integral part of the story, but not the main part. They aren't constantly on the run or on guard from the dead, and I really liked that.

And with the character relationships and world building, I'm definitely interested in finding out what happens next. Not too much is revealed, but just enough that we know the main characters and have a pretty good setup that leads in the next book. And, for anyone who's read it, I can't wait for more of Daniel after that ending.

So, who's with me in casually twiddling our thumbs as we wait for book 2, A Darkness Strange and Lovely?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails