Monday, November 28, 2011

The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton

The Faerie Ring
The Faerie Ring 1
Author: Kiki Hamilton 
Pages: 352 pgs
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Release Date: September 27th 2011
Review Source: Tor Teen

This debut novel was one that caught my attention from the very. Not only is it set in Victorian London, but it also has faeries and beautiful dresses, and intrigue. Kiki Hamilton has created a masterpiece with her debut and has set the stage for more to come.

Tiki is an orphan and, with a few others in the same position, lives in an abandoned clock shop in Charing Cross Station. She and the others learned to pickpockets in order to survive, but when Tiki steals a ring her life will take a drastic turn she never saw coming.

With the help of Rieker, a fellow thief, Tiki tries to come up with the best plan to return the ring and help her family. But their best laid plan might not work with Prince Leopold driven to know her, and others following Tiki and her family. She isn't exactly what she seems and the ring she took opens her to a world thought to be only make believe.

First of all, the cover for this is absolutely amazing. I love that the focus is on the ring and Tiki is mostly blurry. You only get a vague idea of what this will be about, but for me this cover definitely captured my interest.

The fact that this was set in Victorian London was one of the main reasons why I was intrigued by this, and Kiki did a phenomenal job in creating this world. London is one of the many places I want to visit one day and reading this made me feel like I was there right along with them. Everything from the specific areas that they traveled to, to the description of Buckingham Palace had me completely drawn in.

I loved the relationship between Tiki and Rieker as well. We only got a small hint of their feelings for each other, as well as where the rest of this series is headed, but I think that's what I loved. Not everything was revealed right away and we have to wait for the rest of the series to know.

The Faerie ring is the first of a four book series and I can definitely say that I want more! Kiki has developed a wonderful world here and I can't wait to find out what happens next.

For more from this author you can check out her website http://www.kikihamilton.com/ or you can follow her on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/kikihamilton.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails